Homemade crackers that are melt in your mouth buttery may seem like an elusive dream, they did for me, but in reality they are quick and easy to make from scratch. These homemade butter crackers taste just like the store-bought version but have none of the unwanted ingredients.
A few years ago we made the full time switch to using Einkorn flour only for all of our flour needs. Since Einkorn is wheat, just an easier to digest form, most recipes were easy to translate…
The only problem was the same problem most people who cook from scratch find themselves facing… If we want to eat it, we have to actually make it!
So some recipes only get made every once in a while, while others become quick and easy staples.
This Christmas my dad asked me to try my hand at one of his favorite holiday treats, club crackers with homemade cream cheese and jalapeño jelly!
I played around with a few different versions before settling on this one. The taste and texture are identical to the store bought version and with none of the baddies!
Homemade Club Crackers
There’s a lot about this recipe that I absolutely love.
1. It’s easy to whip together in the food processor, so I don’t have to get a bunch of big bowls dirty.
2. It takes barely 5 minutes to go from ingredients in the pantry to crackers in the oven.
3. I get to share a old family favorite with my new, processed-food-avoiding family.
4. My son gets to enjoy them as well without me feeling guilty!
5. They are just plain delicious!
6. They store really well in a glass mason jar (and are pretty too!).
7. The last for months and months in the freezer, so I can make one huge batch and thaw them as needed.
If you are chopping at the bit to get started (and maybe drooling a little bit too, right?), then I won’t keep you from it any longer!
- Preheat over to 400° F
- Add dry ingredients to food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add cold butter in small cubes, pulse until crumbly.
- Add honey and milk, pulse until ball forms.
- If dough is still very sticky, add a bit more flour and pulse again.
- Remove dough from food processor and divide into two balls to roll out seperately.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough to about 1/8" thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into whatever size crackers you'd like.
- Poke holes into each cracker with a fork. I like to do 3-4 rows of holes to make them look like the store-bought version.
- Transfer crackers to baking tray and bake at 400° for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush crackers with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.