Red Plum Jam is an fun canning recipe that can be enjoyed for months to come with only a few hours of effort. It really is easy, learn how to can Red Plum Jam with this simple recipe!
We skipped last year, as I had a 3 month old baby, but usually we can up a punch of this delicious jam for my dad to enjoy over the course of the year! I feel bad that he hasn’t gotten any in a whole year, so we are busting out the water bath canner and prepping to make some jam!
- 5 cups red plums (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 1/4 cup water
- Prepare jars according to the water bath canning directions.
- Chop plums into small-ish pieces. Leave them larger if you like your jam a little more chunky.
- Combine chopped plums, sugar, and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and bring to jelly stage quickly. (220°)
- As jam thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat.
- If foam as formed on top, skim it off.
- Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
- Finish jars and process jam according to water bath canning instructions for 15 minutes.
- Jams and Jellies must be made in small batches, or the finished product will not set up.