Classic shortbread melt in your mouth texture, with a chocolate twist! These chocolate shortbread cookies are sure to please at any gathering, or just because!
After experiencing the light and delicious texture of the einkorn milt milano cookies, I knew I needed to start experimenting with a classic shortbread recipe.
However, my son (who is 2 right now) had other plans!
As we mixed all the ingredients together he kept saying “chocolate! chocolate!“, so I gave in to his sweet little voice and added a bit of raw organic cacao… and I’m so glad I did!
These cookies turned out to be an instant favorite!
The rich flavor of the einkorn flour mixed with the deep warm flavor of the cacao to form a unique and delicious cookie. Add in the melt in your mouth texture of the whipped butter and sugar, and these are a no-brainer for any function where you want to impress!
I want to try making them with a little mint too… I bet that would be amazing!
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
With just 4 ingredients, these cookies came together in less than 5 minutes. I also chose to pipe them into place, instead of spooning them, so they were in the oven in less than 7 minutes total!
Be sure to cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly before adding the other ingredients for the perfect shortbread cookie feel.
I found that these kept at room temperature for 3 weeks, though I’m sure they would actually last much longer! I had to hide one in the pantry to even test it that long… 😉
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt on top of each cookie
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add flour and cacao, mix until well combined.
- If mix is too stiff, add vanilla or a teaspoon of cold water.
- Add dough to a plastic bag, cut the tip off of the bag (1/2" wide). Pipe onto baking sheet in desired shape. The dough will self level as it bakes.
- Pierce each cookie 2x with a fork. Sprinkle on sea salt, if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- If cookies are underdone in the middle once you remove them from the oven, cook for another 3-5 minutes and test again.
- Store at room temperature for 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.