Chances are, you probably know someone who has started a blog. Or maybe you’ve just thought about starting one yourself.
I wanted to walk through the pros and cons of starting a blog for your homesteading, farm, ranch, or just in general, from someone who has done it and helped others do it too!
Right now we make about $8,000 a month from our blog. This money allows us to pursue homesteading in a much different way from other homesteaders.
It means that we get to share the information and experience we gain from our homestead without having to worry about making money from our animals or crops!
It also means that we get to homestead for the love of it, because we want to grow our own food and so on, and it means that we don’t have to work outside the home!
So, have you thought about starting a homestead blog too? Here’s some additional information to help you with your decision!
Should You Start a Blog?
Before you think about the nitty gritty parts of starting a blog, you need to determine if it’s the right decision for you.
Here are some things to consider when making that choice:
- Are you willing to put in about 3-10 hours a week (depending on how fast you work) for the first year of your blog?
- Are you willing to learn new skills?
- Are you willing to open yourself up (a bit) to the world at large through an internet audience?
- Do you want to make money from the things you already doing every day?
- Do you want to share your lifestyle with others who are interested in that lifestyle?
If you said yes to most (if not all) of those, then starting a blog is definitely worth considering for you and your family!
That being said, there are some pros and cons to consider as well.
Pros of starting a blog
If I’m being completely transparent here, even on my worst day as a blogger, I am so thankful that I get to spend my time blogging and making a living for my family! This is the best way to live a free lifestyle that I have ever known!
Here are a few of the pros for starting a blog (homestead blog, or any type)
- You can work from any where.
- Once you have is set up and earning money, it works for you even when you don’t!
- You can take huge amounts of time off and the money still rolls in (I took 4 months completely off last year and still made $5000+ a month during that time!).
- The upfront cost of starting a blog is extremely low compared to any other type of business.
- You can write about the things you are already doing each day.
- You can create independence from an employer by building a blogging income.
Cons of Starting A Blog
The cons of starting a blog are definitely worth looking at, though like I said, for me they don’t outweigh the pros!
- It can be a lot of new information all at once when starting a blog.
- You might feel pressure to write about everything, all the time (we all do!).
- Your friends and family might not understand why you are putting time into something that doesn’t make you any money (yet!).
- You will have to allot time to blogging or it will never grow.
- You might have to move outside your comfort zone to learn new things.
Can You Make Money Blogging? How Much?
You can definitely make money blogging, I know many bloggers who do. I personally make over $8,000 a month blogging, all from the comfort of my own homestead!
I’ve helped thousands of bloggers build their blogs into real businesses, and most have shared their numbers with me along the way during their first year of really working their blog.
Taking all of those numbers, here is the average income progress for the first year of blogging:
Month 1: $0
Month 2: $10
Month 3: $25-50
Month 4: $75-200
Month 5: $300-500
Month 6: $500
Month 7: $650
Month 8: $950
Month 9: $1200
Month 10: $1800
Month 11: $2400
Month 12: $3200
If you take a look at my first year, the numbers track almost exactly!
Notice that I didn’t start seeing those changes in income until I really started working my blog like a business (in January). If you don’t take it seriously and really work at it, your blog could stay in the low income range for years.
When Is the Best Time To Start A Blog?
I get this question all the time and honestly, the best time to start a blog it RIGHT NOW!
It takes time to build up momentum and if you start 3 months from now, you’ll be 3 months behind your goals.
Starting a blog is very cheap and it really doesn’t take a lot of time either – so really, the best time to start is TODAY!
How to Start a Blog
If after reading all of this you’re thinking that a blog would be a great idea for your family (I agree!), then here are some resources for how to start a blog of your own!
With these posts and resources you will be able to get fully set up for creating and managing a successful blog!
1. How to Start a Blog – Step by Step Guide to The First Steps
If you just want the basic information for how to get the best hosting, how to install a theme, and so on, this free post is perfect for helping you get started!
2. How to Launch Your Blog – Everything you need to know to turn your blog into a business.
This course includes how to start a blog, how to monetize for maximum income, includes a free theme, and much more!
You’ll even learn how many posts you need before launching, how to set up a newsletter, and how to get Google on your side for SEO traffic!
3. How to Make Money Blogging
If you already have a blog, but just want to learn a little bit more about how to make money with your site, this eBook is for you! This includes all the information I’ve used to help myself and thousands of other bloggers turn their sites into money makers!
Note: This book is included in the Launch Your Blog course above!