We recently made the commitment to make most of our wheat based products from sourdough if possible, to help with digestion and the health of our teeth and bones.
Of course there are some things like these mint milano cookies that won't make the transition to sourdough, but pretty much everything else is trending that way!
Einkorn Sourdough Pancakes
We've made sourdough crackers and sourdough bread for a long time, but knew that we wanted to kick things up a notch this year. And the first thing I tried outside of our normal uses was sourdough pancakes!
Followed closely by these sourdough honey wheat rolls!
With the exception of just needing to start the night before, these sourdough pancakes are very similar to the regular non-sourdough pancakes we normally make!
With one small difference... They are extremely sturdy! I was so surprised that the sourdough causes the finished product to be far less crumbly than regular einkorn products and gives it more of the strength you are used to with "regular" wheat based foods!
- 1/2 Cup Sourdough Starter
- 1 1/4 Cup Flour (we use einkorn flour)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Butter, Melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (we use homemade)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix starter, milk, and flour in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel and let sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours.
- Mix remaining ingredients into overnight mix. Batter will be thicker than normal pancake batter.
- Heat pan to medium temperature and add a teaspoon of butter, grease, or coconut oil.
- Using a 1/4 or 1/3 cup measuring cup, drop 2 pancakes at a time (or more if you can). Cook until bubble appear, then flip.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, or any topping you would like!
Can I substitute almond or other non-dairy milk in this pancake recipe?
Beth Ann Stauffer says
I am wondering if this batter could also be used in a waffle iron.
Yes, and it’s AMAZING!! We tend to have these as waffles most often. Also, these waffles make the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches… unbelievably delicious! Enjoy!