Learn how to make homemade peanut butter. With just two ingredients, and the optional ingredient of honey, this peanut butter can be made creamy or chunky!
I LOVE peanut butter. My six-year-old LOVES peanut butter, and my toddler, well, he's still figuring it out. It's my oldest son's favorite type of sandwich.
We try really hard to find a peanut butter that is both palatable , spreadable, and has no unnecessary ingredients at the store. This has proven to be a tough task. Sometimes the best option is to simply make your own.
Most of the major name brands I've picked up in the past added refined sugar or some type of oil. By using this recipe, you can skip out on all that, and have deliciously simple peanut butter.
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter
Though my toddler is still trying to figure out how to eat peanut butter without assuming it to be finger paint, there is always one strategy that helps him eat new foods. He helps me make it! It works for both my kids, and I enjoy spending time with them and teaching them along the way.
It usually takes me longer to get a recipe done with them, but if I think of it as teaching them life skills and spending time with them, then I'm more than happy to take the extra time.
Preheat oven to 350°F (175 degrees °C). Spread out the peanuts on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and bake until golden brown. This should take anywhere between 6 to 10 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes to ensure even roasting.
Using a metal blade in the food processor, scrape the baking tray with peanuts and salt into the processor, and process for about 2 minutes, or until peanuts start to form a ball.
Scrape the sides and reserve 1/3 cup of ground peanuts if you plan on making chunky peanut butter. If you are making creamy peanut butter, there is no need to reserve 1/3 cup of ground peanuts.
Add the honey at this point, if desired, and continue blending to desired consistency. This should take 2-3 more minutes.
Unless you normally buy a brand of peanut butter without added sweetener for your kids, and they are going to eat this, I recommend adding in the honey. They will be used to having their peanut butter taste slightly sweet.
Remove the creamy peanut butter from the food processor and mix in the reserved peanuts back into the mix (if desired).
PEANUT BUTTER NUTRITION
While many recipes for homemade peanut butter contain extra oil and/or sugar, this recipe is just peanuts and salt! Unless you choose to add some honey, but that's up to you.
The nutritional facts below due include the honey - so carbs and calories will be less if you don't include the honey in your recipe.
Nutritional Information For 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Homemade Peanut Butter (with honey)
Total Fat: 18.1 g
Total Carbs: 7.9g
USES FOR PEANUT BUTTER
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches using homemade bread and jams are so tasty! Here are some great jellies and jams to add to your peanut butter sandwiches:
And here are some additional uses for your homemade peanut butter:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (these cookies are keto-friendly) Just switch out the almond butter for peanut butter. :-)
- Peanut Butter on Apples
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter on Bananas
- Peanut Butter on Celery with Raisins (also known as ants on a log)
MORE RECIPES TO TRY: Try out these make-ahead Hot Sandwiches for another quick dinner or lunch. We also love to eat Apple Sauce with our peanut butter sandwiches.
Homemade Peanut Butter
- Food Processor
- 2 cups raw shelled peanuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175 degrees °C). Spread peanuts on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and bake until golden brown, about 6-10 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes to get an even roasting.
- In a food processor (using a metal blade), scrape baking tray with peanuts and salt, and process for about 2 minutes, or until peanuts start to form a ball.
- Scrape sides and reserve 1/3 cup of ground peanuts if chunky peanut butter is desired.
- Add honey at this point, if desired, and continue blending to desired consistency, 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove creamy peanut butter from food processor and mix reserved peanuts back into the mix (if desired).
PIN THIS FOR LATER
✨ JOIN NOW ✨