Red Plum Jam is an fun canning recipe that can be enjoyed for months to come with only a few hours of effort. It really is easy, learn how to can Red Plum Jam with this simple recipe!
UPDATE: This recipe had a typo regarding the amount of water needed. The amount has been corrected!
Red Plum Jam is my daddy's favorite jam. Oh sure, he likes Strawberry Jam, and Apple Butter... but given his choice, he would eat nothing but Red Plum Jam with his bread!
We skipped last year, as I had a 3 month old baby, but usually we can up a punch of this delicious jam for my dad to enjoy over the course of the year! I feel bad that he hasn't gotten any in a whole year, so we are busting out the water bath canner and prepping to make some jam!
Now, I say this is for my dad, but don't think for a SECOND that he gets to hog it all for himself! :-) We all love it and usually enjoy it on some homemade sandwich bread or drop biscuits!
Check out my Beginner's Guide to Water Bath Canning!
- 5 cups red plums about 2 pounds
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Prepare jars according to the water bath canning directions.
- Chop plums into small-ish pieces. Leave them larger if you like your jam a little more chunky.
- Combine chopped plums, sugar, and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and bring to jelly stage quickly. (220°)
- As jam thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat.
- If foam as formed on top, skim it off.
- Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
- Finish jars and process jam according to water bath canning instructions for 15 minutes.
Been working on this today with my mini water bath canner. It came out so pretty looking I almost can’t stand it. The perfect blend of sweet and tart.
Awesome, Angie!! I’m so glad to hear that! Enjoy your hard work!
Do you peel your plums?
Hi Angi, no I leave them in!