Red Plum Jam is an fun canning recipe that can be enjoyed for months to come with only a few hours of effort. It really is easy, learn how to can Red Plum Jam with this simple recipe!
UPDATE: This recipe had a typo regarding the amount of water needed. The amount has been corrected!
We skipped last year, as I had a 3 month old baby, but usually we can up a punch of this delicious jam for my dad to enjoy over the course of the year! I feel bad that he hasn't gotten any in a whole year, so we are busting out the water bath canner and prepping to make some jam!
How to Can Red Plum Jam
- 5 cups red plums about 2 pounds
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Prepare jars according to the water bath canning directions.
- Chop plums into small-ish pieces. Leave them larger if you like your jam a little more chunky.
- Combine chopped plums, sugar, and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and bring to jelly stage quickly. (220°)
- As jam thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat.
- If foam as formed on top, skim it off.
- Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
- Finish jars and process jam according to water bath canning instructions for 15 minutes.
Jams and Jellies must be made in small batches, or the finished product will not set up.