Einkorn is the original grain that has been gaining all sorts of popularity over the last decade. We have been baking with and sharing recipes for einkorn since 2014! When we talk about einkorn, people have a lot of questions: What is einkorn? Is it gluten free? How do you bake with einkorn flour? Where can I buy einkorn flour?... and more!
So I wanted to take some time and write a bit about einkorn flour to help you understand it more fully as you consider adding it to your diet.
We love einkorn flour. After almost 20 years as a gluten free family, being able to enjoy the taste and texture of real wheat, without the celiac response, has been a miracle!
We often have a loaf of einkorn sandwich bread in the oven, or a tray of einkorn chocolate chip cookies in the freezer. And of course, my son always requests einkorn donuts for his birthday!
What is Einkorn Flour?
Einkorn is considered the original wheat, the one that God created. That means that our bodies actually know what to do with it! It's never been hybridized or changed in any way, which makes it much easier to digest than modern wheat. And for many people with gluten issues, it means they can finally eat wheat again!
In our 9 years serving the einkorn community, we have been blessed to help many celiacs (several million, in fact) learn about and use einkorn flour. Our family too contains 3 full celiacs and several people with severe gluten sensitivities and we have been blessed to all enjoy einkorn without issues.
Having been gluten free for almost 20 years before finding einkorn, you can imagine the joy at being at to ditch gluten free products in favor of wheat that didn't cause a gluten response, inflammation, or blood sugar spikes!
So, how can we eat einkorn if we have a gluten issue... isn't it wheat?
Yes! However, one of the most notable characteristics of einkorn flour is its gluten content. Einkorn flour actually contains a different type of gluten than modern wheat flour. The gluten in einkorn flour doesn't trigger a gluten response in celiacs.
NOTE: Not all einkorn is created equal - some einkorn has cross contamination with other wheat varieties which can still trigger a response. That's not the einkorn! We use the Jovial Foods brand einkorn and have never had an issue.
Different Types of Einkorn Flour
Just like modern wheat, einkorn flour comes in all different varieties. While you can't currently buy specialty flours like cake flour, or bread flour with einkorn, there are still several options for buying einkorn flour.
- All purpose - This is the ultra sifted, no bran, white flour that is used to make almost everything you'd find in a commercial bakery. Most of our einkorn recipes are made with all-purpose einkorn flour. Any other type of einkorn flour is specifically noted in the recipe.
- Whole wheat - When einkorn flour is ground commercially, but not sifted, this is known as whole wheat einkorn flour.
- Freshly ground (einkorn berries) - If you purchase whole einkorn berries and grind them yourself, right before baking, this is known as freshly ground einkorn, or home-milled einkorn. We have a lovely recipe for freshly ground honey wheat einkorn bread, we hope you test it out!
Where Can You Get Einkorn Flour
There are many different einkorn growers in the USA, but we prefer the Jovial Foods brand of einkorn that is grown and processed in Italy.
The Jovial Foods brand can be purchased from many different places:
- Directly from Jovial - A low price, with free shipping over $100. However, there is an order limit, so you can't buy in bulk.
- Amazon - Both all-purpose and whole wheat einkorn are available on Amazon. A slightly higher price, but free shipping with Prime, and no limit to what you can order!
- VitaCost - Typically the cheapest when there is a coupon, but low supply.
- Azure Standard - They generally only carry all-purpose einkorn. Average pricing, can be delivered with all your other Azure items!
- Thrive Market - Highest price without a coupon.
- Local Stores - Many health food stores and even grocery stores are starting to carry the Jovial Foods einkorn flour. If you don't see it on the shelf, ask!
Is Einkorn Gluten Free?
Technially no, there is still gluten in einkorn flour. However, like we mentioned earlier, it is NOT THE SAME gluten that is found in modern wheat. It doesn't trigger a gluten response, so we have seen 100% of celiacs enjoy einkorn without issue.
That's not to say there aren't people out there who might react to einkorn, but we haven't met them yet! And we've helped millions to test and enjoy einkorn, both through our in-person einkorn exclusive bakery, and through our online recipes.
Depending on the variety (all-purpose, whole wheat, or freshly ground) the nutrition of einkorn may vary. In general, einkorn wheat is higher in protein, fiber, and essential minerals like iron and zinc. Einkorn is also rich in antioxidants, which help to protect the body from harmful free radicals that can cause damage to the cells!
Whole wheat or freshly ground einkorn will have slightly lower carbs, and higher fiber than all-purpose einkorn, due to the bran remaining in the flour.
What Does Einkorn Taste Like?
We've been eating einkorn for so long that it just tastes normal to us now. However, many people who are new to einkorn say it has a nutty flavor. I do know that when our family members without gluten issues eat modern wheat products, they say it's bland when compared to the rich depth of flavor that einkorn offers!
In general, most people will not be able to tell a taste different between modern wheat and einkorn when all-purpose flour and a great recipe are involved.
How to Bake with Einkorn
While many recipes can be swapped 1:1 with all-purpose einkorn, many cannot. Here is a good rule of thumb that I've developed over the last near-decade.
- If it DOESN'T contain yeast, it will do well with a 1:1 conversion. So, things like cookies, muffins, cakes, brownies... they typically do just fine replacing modern all-purpose flour with all-purpose einkorn flour.
- If it DOES contain yeast, you will need to tinker with it or use a tried-and-true einkorn recipe instead.
Need help converting recipes to einkorn flour? Use my einkorn conversion cheatsheet to help make it easier!
How to Store Einkorn
Einkorn is just like any other wheat, it needs to be treated and stored properly for long-term storage. For short-term storage (using it all within a month or two) you can store it in the back on the pantry shelf, or in an air tight container.
For best results, learn how to store flour long-term in this step-by-step post!
Our Favorite Einkorn Recipes
So, are you ready to get started with einkorn flour? We are here to help! You can check out our full einkorn recipe collection, or use one of these popular recipes to get started.
✨ JOIN NOW ✨