Christmas is a big deal around here. Not only is it CHRISTMAS, but it's also one of the only times our whole family is together.
I'm blessed to be in a family that values time together, so we do get together during the year many times, but there always seems to be someone missing. It's usually my brother in law who is in medical school many states away...
So at Christmastime, when both families are together - my parents, siblings (and their spouses and kids), my parents-in-law, brother-in-law, and my little family - I like to make sure that everyone has their favorite dishes present at the big holiday meal.
For my brother-in-law it's french silk pie. And man, does he know how to pick a dessert!
For years I've been making the traditional version with eggs, dairy, and even homemade marshmallow cream. But since we have so many allergies it's not a dessert we can really partake in...
This year I decided to make sure we could enjoy it too with a non-dairy version!
Mint Milano Cookies
Dairy Free French Silk Pie - Creamy Chocolate Pie
The normal "dairy free" options for this type of dessert are normally all made of soy, which is also steer clear of, so I had to keep looking!
With a little experimentation I came up with this super easy, 4 ingredient recipe that knocks the socks off of the traditional version!
It's dairy free, nut free, soy free, vegan, and can even be made gluten free to! But even without all those things, this recipe is PACKED with flavor and only takes a few minutes to make!
NOTE: If you want to make this gluten free, or even paleo, simply use a pie shell that will fit your diet needs! The filling is naturally gluten free and paleo!
The texture of this chocolate pie is so fluffy and light that you'll be tempted to eat the whole thing!
Here's a video with the entire process and the recipe can be found and printed just below that! Enjoy!
Dairy Free French Silk Pie
- Chill cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Place them in the door so they don't freeze or get too hard.
- Bake and cool pie crust of your choice.
- Remove cans from the fridge and open carefully. The fat will have separated from the liquid and you don't want it to spill!
- Carefully scoop off the top layer of coconut solids and discard the liquids.
- Using an electric mixer whip coconut solids until they reach whipped cream consistency.
- Add honey and vanilla extract, whip again to combine.
- Separate whipped cream equally into two bowl.
- Melt chocolate chips and add them to one bowl. Fold gently to combine the chocolate and half of the whipped cream.
- Add chocolate whipped cream to pie crust, spread until even.
- Add whipped cream to top of chocolate portion and spread until even. Top with chocolate shavings, if desired.
- Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours until firm.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
More Recipes To Devour