Learn how to make the BEST chicken salad with simple ingredients! Void of grapes or celery, this homemade chicken salad recipe has a wonderful balance of sweet and bold flavors.
Mama's Homemade Chicken Salad
My mom makes the best chicken salad - she always has. When we were growing up, she used canned chicken and her chicken salad was STILL the best.
Then when we were teenagers she upgraded to using grilled chicken breasts and our lives changed completely!
I'm not lying when I say I would choose one of my mom's chicken salad sandwiches over chocolate cake any day... it's THAT good.
While this recipe recommends grilled chicken breasts, it's equally delicious with oven baked chicken breasts or thighs, grilled thighs, or even canned chicken!
Make this today and serve on warm homemade bread if you can - or a bed of lettuce. Either way, this recipe is a WINNER!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I make chicken salad from scratch?
Just follow the simple directions on the recipe card below. You could use an entire chicken, grilled chicken breast, canned chicken, or thighs.
Do I need a food processor to make chicken salad?
No, simply shred the chicken while still warm or use canned chicken.
What side dishes go with chicken salad?
How long does chicken salad last in the fridge?
Three to five days.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
Yes, but leave out the mayonnaise until it is thawed out. Drain excess juices, and stir in the mayo as usual. I also recommend leaving out the cut up apple until the other contents of the chicken salad is thawed.
Do I serve chicken salad hot or cold?
This chicken salad is best served cold the day after you make it, but it tastes great served at room temperature, too. However, if serving on lettuce, serve cold to prevent wilting lettuce.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY: Put your chicken salad on these homemade hamburger buns or on this sandwich bread. If you prefer to put your chicken salad on lettuce, try these easy tips for keeping lettuce fresh.
Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded (we use grilled chicken breasts seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (we use homemade)
- 1 red apple, washed and diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup diced sweet gherkin pickles (we use homemade)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- (add more spices to taste as needed)
- Shred chicken while warm, or use a food processor to pulse briefly to chop.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add additional mayo or spices as needed, for your personal tastes.
- Serve on fresh bread or a bed of lettuce.
PIN THIS FOR LATER