Most folks love a good beef stew recipe, and it's even better if that recipe can be converted to a slow cooker beef stew! This recipe can be made in an electric or non-electric crockpot or on the stove.
Whoa whoa, non-electric crockpot? What sorcery is this?!
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first saw the Wonderbag pop up on my Facebook feed. So I decided to reach out and see if they might be open to sending me one to try... They were, and while I waited for it to come in I started planning all the recipes I wanted to try!
You can read my full review of the Wonderbag here, but just know that I completely and totally recommend it for a LOT of reasons!
Irish Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Cabbage & Carrots
Anyway, among the other recipes I wanted to try in my new off-grid crockpot, I knew I wanted to make this beef stew. Not only is it just delicious, but it's also grain and starches free while still being a hardy and filling meal.
So while this stew "as-is" can be considered both a keto beef stew and a paleo beef stew, it certainly doesn't have to stay that way!
If you want to add potatoes to this recipe, it would be out of this world amazing! Since we are going low carb for our son's health issues though, we kept it grain and starch free for now.
Eventually I'll be sure to serve it with a side of our favorite sourdough bread (with a huge slab of grass-fed butter on top)!
Making Irish Crockpot Beef Stew Video
Irish Beef Stew Recipe
Though this recipe is fairly new to us, it is already a family favorite. The recipe made about a gallon and a half of soup and it was gone in 3 meals. I'd say that's a winner!
I guess I'm just on a bit of an "all things Irish" kick this week, and that's completely ok right? Ha!
If you want to make this recipe in something other than a Wonderbag, see the recipe notes for alternate cooking instructions.
Irish Roast Beef & Cabbage Stew
- 2 lbs Shoulder Roast (cubed)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 lbs Carrots (sliced)
- 1 large Yellow Onion (diced, large)
- 1 head Cabbage (shredded)
- 6 cups Water or Broth
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 8 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic (to taste)
- Fresh Thyme Sprigs (to taste, I used 6)
- Cut and brown roast chunks in butter with salt, pepper, garlic.
- Add 1 head chopped cabbage, 2 pounds carrots, 1 large yellow onion
- Combine tomato paste and honey with 1 cup of water (or broth). Mix until smooth and add to stew pot.
- Add remaining water (or broth) and red wine.
FOR COOKING IN A WONDERBAG
- Bring to a boil, cover and boil for 15 minutes. Add fresh thyme, cover, and add to Wonderbag.
- Allow to slow cook for 2-4 hours, but no more than 8. Serve with crusty bread (optional)
FOR ELECTRIC CROCKPOT
- Follow the instructions through step 4. Cook on low for 5-8 hours, or high for 3-5 hours.You DO NOT need to bring all ingredients to a boil before placing in crockpot if you are using an electric crockpot.
- Follow the instructions through step 4. Then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes.