So, my husband’s birthday was Sunday. And he wanted a chocolate cake. Sure, no problem!! I love chocolate cake as much as the next person (perhaps more)!!
Only one problem… he wanted until the day before his birthday to tell me this! And I of course had zero milk on hand.
This wouldn’t have been such an issue if we were able to drink pasteurized milk, but we can’t. And since the raw dairy we frequent is a 2 hour round trip, I had to go in search of a no milk chocolate cake recipe.
This proved to be much harder than I had originally imagined!
After what seemed an eternity, I finally found it. The Holy Grail, as it were…
I had waded through quite a few recipes on Pinterest before finding this gem – A Depression Era Dark Chocolate Cake.
Of course that threw me into an extended period of researching Depression Era recipes! I’ll be sharing more of those, along with some frugal living tips from that time, during the rest of this week!
I was so excited to see that not only was it milk-free, it was also free of eggs and butter!! Talk about a cheap cake!
After looking at the ingredients I did end up opting to use butter instead of vegetable oil.
I had all the ingredients on hand and was able to whip this together in just 30 minutes, including the icing!
With the recipe calling for Apple Cider Vinegar, I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be as tasty as if I had just made a regular ol’ chocolate cake…
However, my worries were for nothing! This is honestly, THE. BEST. Chocolate. Cake. I’ve EVER HAD!
It’s incredibly moist and unbelievably chocolaty!!
Plus, it ended up being SUPER CHEAP! Which, on our new budget is a big deal.
All totaled this cake cost a whopping $4.00! Talk about savings, and with all real ingredients too!
Try it today, I bet you have all the ingredients… and it’s ready in only 30 minutes! You WILL NOT be disappointed!
This $4 Einkorn Chocolate Cake is definitely going in the family recipe file!
- 3 cups Einkorn flour
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 Tbs cocoa powder
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter, melted
- 2 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 2 cups room temperature water
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar (I used the kind that doesn't have cornstarch)
- 1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp homemade vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, and baking soda, stirring to mix well.
- Add melted butter, vanilla, and lukewarm water. Mix until well combined.
- Add apple cider vinegar, stirring well to make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and butter.
- Gradually add water, stirring well to combine until icing reaches the right consistency for spreading.
- Allow cake layers to cook completely before removing from the pans.
- Stack one on top of the other (I didn't add an icing layer between the two cakes, but you definitely could... I just forgot!).
- Pour the icing on top and spread as normal.
- If the icing has "set up" a bit before you get it on the cake, just stir well and it will be fine!
More Money Saving Tips