Crispy meringue style edges with a gooey brownie center, these flourless brownie cupcakes come together in less than 15 minutes and require no specialty ingredients! You likely have every single thing you need to make these right now!
Part flourless brownie, part flourless chocolate cupcakes, this dessert is a wonderful way to whip up a gluten-free treat! Plus, it freezes really well too!
This week was my birthday which meant we were bringing out the sweets for a big family dinner! And while it may seem odd to some, I was in charge of making my own birthday cake!
And please know that when I say “I was in charge” that I was put there by me! No one else ordered me to make my own cake 😉
Anyway, I decided I wanted this amazing einkorn birthday cake I made last year for my son, as well as some homemade raw milk chocolate ice cream!
Turns out I ended up needing a full dozen eggs for the amount of ice cream I was making, but only the yolks! That left me with a dozen egg whites just sitting in a bowl staring at me!
So I wanted to figure out an easy recipe to use them up instead of freezing them. I was originally going for a flourless chocolate cookie type thing, but the batter turned out a little runny. Rather than trying to add additional dry ingredients to make it thicker, I just spooned the batter into cupcake tins to contain it and cooked them like that.
Much to my surprise they were the best chocolate brownie cupcakes I’ve ever had, with or without flour!
Flourless Brownie Cupcakes
Even though we use einkorn flour in all of our wheat based foods, I really wanted to keep this a gluten free, dairy free cupcake recipe.
Fortunately I had all the ingredients on hand to make it work, and you probably do too!
P.S. These were so good I ended up skipping the cake and just serving these for my birthday dinner <3
- 9 cups powdered sugar (I use this kind that contains zero cornstarch!)
- 1 1/4 cups raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 12 large egg whites
- 3 T homemade vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
- Spray cupcake tins with baking spray (I use this coconut oil spray and I love it!).
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients, mix gently until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into cupcake tins, filling each cavity about halfway.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the tops are cracked.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before removing. I've found that a pair of tongs work well. DO NOT allow brownies to cool all the way in the pan or they will not release easily.