Animal crackers are a delicious part of childhood! Learn how to make your own homemade animal cracker cookies from scratch with this delicious recipe that uses einkorn flour or any wheat!
Better than store-bought, these homemade animal crackers are perfect for a lunch-box treat or an after school snack!
The mini animal cookie cutter used create the perfect child-size cookie for easy snacking and enjoyment!
Homemade Animal Cracker Cookies
While we use einkorn flour for our baking needs, you can use any type of wheat flour that you'd like!
It may seem like too much effort to make your own animal crackers, but when you need or want to control all the ingredients your family consumes, being able to re-create your favorite store-bought recipes is very special!
So, here we go. Let's make some homemade animal crackers!
This recipe works best when made in a food process, but you can also make it in an electric mixer or by hand if needed.
Add dry ingredients to food processor and pulse briefly.
Add remain ingredients EXCEPT the milk, and pulse until the dough forms small pea size balls.
Finally, add the milk and process until a single ball forms.
Divide the dough into two balls and work one at a time.
Roll the dough to about 1/4-1/8 inch thick. If your dough is really sticky, err on the side of a thicker roll.
Then, get to cutting your shapes!
My son helped me roll out the dough and cut the animal shapes with our new animal cookie cutter set (they are SO cute!).
Note: If you are going to make these animal cracker cookies with little kids, be prepared for them to cut the shapes in a random pattern that doesn't use the dough well.
Don't freak out too much over the imperfections of the process, you can always re-roll the dough and use it again to cut additional shapes.
I did give him a bit of direction so that he could grow and learn, but I was careful not to ruin the experience by being too critical.
As you cut the shapes, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet until the tray is full.
Then bake one batch while you fill the next tray!
Bake until golden brown. You'll want to let the first batch cool completely and then test them for crispness.
The bake time will vary based on how crisp you want them and how thick/thin you rolled the dough.
So, a test batch is a good idea. Then you can make adjustments accordingly.
Once all the cookies are baked, allow them to cool completely before storing in cookie jar (otherwise their shape will warp).
Then, sit back, relax, and enjoy your homemade animal crackers with a glass of cold milk!
RELATED: Homemade Graham Crackers
Homemade Animal Cracker Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups flour (we use einkorn)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Next, add in butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and honey. Process until the dough looks like small peas, then add the milk and process until a dough ball forms.
- Dump the dough out onto a well floured counter. Divide the dough into two balls.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll the dough as thin as you can, no thicker than 1/4-inch thick, but preferably an 1/8-inch thick (about the thickness of a quarter).
- Use your animal cookie cutters to cut shapes. Place shapes on lined baking sheets until a tray is filled.
- Bake for 9 to 13** minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Repeat with the remaining dough until all the dough has been used.
PIN THIS FOR LATER