Whether it’s Spring Break, Easter Break, or just a long weekend, this list of 62 Free Spring Activities will jump start your imagination and help you have fun without spending a penny!
It’s that time of year where the weather is mostly gorgeous and the kids have long breaks from school and you need to fill their time!
Some people choose to go on vacation during this season, but that’s not an option for everyone (like us!), so I thought I would share a big list of ways to enjoy the spring season while spending zero extra money out of pocket!
P.S. Even if you don’t have kids around, these ideas can double and fun and cheap date ideas! Through a few of them together with a homemade picnic and you’ve got an amazing evening!
62 Free Spring Activities
All of these activities can work for families of all shapes, sizes, and ages… you may have to adjust a bit for ages, but that’s about it!
I’ve broken this list down into different categories for you, so it’s easier to find something quickly. Now all that’s let is for you to pick and choose from this list to create a fabulous set of Spring activities!
OUTSIDE AT HOME SPRING ACTIVITIES
1. Plant seeds in seed starters for a backyard garden.
2. Play a classic game like jump rope, hopscotch, or jacks.
3. Make an obstacle course in the backyard and time each other running through.
4. Make a bird feeder with items you already have.
5. Go on a scavenger hunt in nature.
6. Climb a tree.
7. Make dish soap bubble mix and blow bubbles.
8. Wash the car and have a water fight (if it’s warm enough).
9. Lie on your backs on a blanket in the field and cloud gaze.
10. Have a paper airplane race.
11. Camp in the backyard.
12. Learn old camp songs and sing them around a backyard campfire.
13. Take pictures of nature.
FOOD RELATED SPRING ACTIVITIES
14. Teach your kids a new recipe that you can make together.
15. Make ice cream.
16. Take a picnic to the park and enjoy the sunshine.
17. Make pasta from scratch.
18. Make homemade bread.
19. Make waffles together for breakfast for dinner.
20. Make chocolate chip cookies.
21. Make ice cream floats.
22. Make vanilla cupcakes.
23. Make homemade syrup for snow cones.
24. Make some homemade lemonade.
25. Make homemade tortillas for soft tacos.
26. Make homemade marshmallows and graham crackers for s’mores.
27. Host a potluck for friends and family in the backyard.
AROUND TOWN SPRING ACTIVITIES
28. Go on a walk around the neighborhood or nearby park.
29. Go to the farmer’s market and meet the local growers in your area.
30. Play at the playground (or three!)
31. Visit a farm or dairy in your area. Just call ahead and ask for a tour! Most are happy to have you visit!
32. Visit the historic district of your city and learn more about your town.
33. Find a community program where you can volunteer as a family.
34. Teach your kids to skip stones on a pond.
35. Find a clover patch and search for four-leaf clovers.
36. Go Geocaching.
37. Attend free music/movies in the park.
38. Go for a bike ride.
39. Visit a museum on free admittance day.
40. Take a dip in the community swimming pool (if it’s open).
INDOOR ACTIVITIES AND CRAFTS
41. Read a book. You can do this as a family (read a book aloud) or as individuals.
42. Rent movies from the library for free!
43. Teach each other to knit or crochet.
44. Make play dough.
45. Play board games.
46. Learn a new card game.
47. Clean out your closets and donate old winter clothes.
48. Dig out all your craft supplies and make a family art project.
49. Paint the sunrise or sunset using whatever paints you have on hand.
50. Learn to do some origami.
51. Put together a jigsaw puzzle.
52. Play classic games like Simon Says or Red Light, Green Light.
53. Make sock puppets and put on a show.
54. Take family pictures.
55. Have a dance off.
56. Write poems about Spring.
57. Play charades.
58. Pick a topic and all write stories about the topic, then share them with each other.
59. Look at old photos and tell stories from the past.
60. Go for a hike.
61. Play dress up and act out classic fairy tails.
62. Have a Sing-a-Long with your favorite Disney movie.
No matter what activity you choose, you really can’t go wrong with this list! Enjoy!